Saturday, April 18, 2009

What to do with all of this???

I got this very kind message on my Facebook the other day and I thought it was worth answering here on the blog.

The question is, what do I do with this huge social network once I have acquired it?

First off, Katie proposes a fantastic solution to the question. Send a message to your 400 Facebook friends or post a status update that would refer them all to your gym and you are in the money, provided that they remember to drop your name. I love it!

Social media marketing works in the same way. Amass a large network of personal connections and profit from them. As far as I know, Katie is not a small business or a large corporation trying to sell some outstanding product to as many people as possible so gym membership referrals might sound like a good idea, but there are certainly other things that can be accomplished by a large social network on the web.

My favorite solution is somewhat selfless. Let's say Katie needs signatures on a petition or wants to raise awareness for a cause. A large, online, social network can be the perfect place to get people participating. As long as Katie has maintained strong personal relationships with her online communities they are certainly more likely to listen. It is much easier and more effective than soliciting to strangers on the street.

Big brands are certainly not the only ones benefiting from large online social networks. Much can be accomplished by little people with lots of friends. The key word here is, of course, FRIENDS.

Creating huge social networks without any personal interaction is absolutely useless! I can't stress that enough, especially if you are not big brand, which people expect to sell them stuff. It is in the individual's best interest (as well as the big brand, if you are listening) to keep personal relationships his/her highest priority. A 'Facebook friend' should be no different from a 'friend' and communication should be kept open. You never know when you might need your 400 Facebookers or 3000 Twitterers or whatever connections you have.

Be a nice person and interact with other nice people as much as possible. You will need them eventually and, certainly, they will need you!

2 comments:

  1. Hi there. Had a good laugh when I saw this post! its a question that has been bothering me for the last few weeks. I am busy clawing my way up the social network ladder, but what do you do once you get to the top? Thanks for a very interesting post.
    Regards

    Daniel

    www.daniel-dunn.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. I know it's a fun game making friends and influencing people online, but it's a valid question, "what now?" It seems like everyone these days wants to be an online "social marketer" or whatever they are called (where I work she is called a "Web Evangelist"). Other than that, I can't think of what else to do with all of it.

    ReplyDelete